
We took the kids to see the Disney on Ice a couple of weeks ago. They loved every minute of it. Well, maybe not every minute. Lindsay brought her own money so she could buy something and was absolutely disgusted that the only thing she could get with her $14.50 was a crown-wearing duck eraser and a ziploc size bag of cotton candy. I mean, what? they don't make enough of an impression with the price of admission? They have to kick you in the butt on the way out with those ridiculous "souvenirs". I was very proud of my oldest for being so wise and frugal and deciding to spend her money on "something way better than that."
It really was fun though. We went with some great friends who had tickets in the Huntsman suite. Now that right there is a reason to marry someone with money. Right after this I am going to find out if the Huntsman's have any grand-sons my daughters ages. Only kidding...sort of.
It was so nice to not only have extra elbow room but room to get up and walk around. There were no annoying people sitting behind or in front of us and I can't even tell you how nice it was having your own bathroom 4 feet away. The kids had a ball and the show was really fun. Disney does know how to put on a production. The girls were also a little disappointed that there were no princesses. That reminded me of something I've been wondering for a while.

When I was a little girl my favorite princess was Sleeping Beauty. She had blond hair and eyes like me and I thought for sure I would look like her when I grew up.
*oh the delusions of children*
Anyway, I always picked her as my princess. Lindsay loves Snow White. Makenna loves Cinderella and Olivia loves Belle. Not only for the physical resemblances either. Lindsay is my sweet, helpful one who believes in Happily Ever Afters. Makenna fully believes that pumpkins could turn into carriages and that her Prince Charming will find her one day. Olivia is strong, independent and does not want to be told what to do. And all I can say about the Handsome Prince 'rescueing' her is.....Good Luck with that boys!!
There's Mulan for the little Asian girls. Jasmine's got things covered for India. And the beautiful Pocahontus rocks for the Native American girlies. Redheads are even represented by Ariel. There isn't a latin princess but there are at least a couple that have dark hair and darker skin for the little chicas. So I got sad thinking about all the cute little black girls that wander through the Disney gift shops looking for a princess that looks like them and I wondered why Disney hasn't had a black princess.
And it's not just Disney.
There really are no great leading, animated, female characters for them to look at and want to be like. They are usually the friends of the main character or another supporting character. Although Oprah Winfrey did play the judge in the Bee Movie, but what little girl dreams of wearing a robe and carrying around a gavel?
Then I saw this.
Yay for Princess Tiana.
I'm sure there will be controversy and lots will be said about the prince being white but I'm just glad that there will be at least one more choice for all of the little black beauties out there.
And I'm sure you can plan on paying a ridiculous price for her merchandise as well.
"Someday, my prince will come........."



4 comments:
So am I to understand that you would like to find a grandson of John Sr or Jr? Because if it is John Sr that would make the grandson our age and that would mean you are looking for you..... I must be confused because I KNOW you wouldn't take someone like that over someone like me with all this money, charm, looks, attitude, style, etc.
Love you!
I thought concessions were a rip-off until I saw licensed merchandise. When we took our family five years ago, we paid more for a stupid Ariel t-shirt and a plastic Prince Charming sword than we did for four decent-seat tickets.
A friend of mine went to Target pre-show and picked out a Disney toy for each of her kids, as well as tiaras and snacks, and spent a fraction of what she would have at the show. If we ever make it back to Disney on Ice, I'm doing what she did! :)
(I've given up on ever being rich in this life. I'll hold out for a rich son-in-law, too. I like how you think.)
Yeah, I'm so excited for a black princess. She's a beauty. It's about time I say. I have been wondering the same thing.
I think prices for merchandise is out of control. When we went to disney world in Florida, it was like a couple hundred dollars just to dress your little girl up like a princess. I said forget that, and did my own little make-over for Abby.
Holla for the black princess! I can't even tell you what excitement filled my heart when I saw the preview on Tinkerbell.
Post a Comment