January 6, 2010

Every day, life changing moments


So it's probably a really bad sign that I'm getting my "New Year's" post up a week into the new year. But if you know me well, you'll know that I'm right on schedule.


Recently I heard someone say, "We don't remember days, we remember moments." 2009 was filled with 365 days, most of which will be forgotten. We have had many "moments" that we will remember for a long time. We watched as our last baby cut his first tooth. We realized that our oldest child will be gone from our home in fewer years than we have had here here. We remembered that we need our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ more than any worldly posession. We know the importance of family and saying "I love you" often. We have been blessed and supported by amazing parents.
As I looked through our 2009 calendar I noticed many big life events written next to day to day obligations. Surgeries and baptisms appear next to dentist appointments, birthday parties and soccer games. While pre-school, primary meetings and dance class dot the little squares on a regular basis, things like "family vacation" and "Dad's Brain Surgery" stick out like they're written in Neon lights.
The mundane penciled in next to the momentous.
Which events are more important? The routine or the rare?
Both are necessary to appreciate the beauty that "life" offers.
When I see that I took dinner to someone on the same day that we had 4 other activities, I don't remember the chaos that I'm sure ensued.
I remember the look of gratitude on the face of a friend.
I am positive we were very late to Stake Conference but I recall a certain talk that was given that I needed to hear.
With all 3 girls in dance and soccer, it felt like we were in the car.....a lot!! But I know that those girls learned valuable lessons of teamwork, sportsmanship and learning to deal with defeat as well as victory. And knowing that they have more rythym now than I ever will makes Dance totally worth it.
There have been birthdays and BBQ's, shots and show and tells. We've enjoyed swimming and sleepovers and survived Fast Sunday's and Full Body Casts.
We've sung in choirs and we've seen Chemotherapy.
It's been a year full of "the same old, same old"...mixed in with the "I hope we never have to do this again"s.
Every year on December 31st I feel a little strange taking down the ratty old calendar with it's scribbles and tears. Like I'm letting go of an old friend who understands why I didn't always get the laundry done. I was too busy.
But I do love picking out a new calendar and seeing all of those blank pages just begging to be filled up with the daily events of our lives.
New 'moments' to be made.
A fresh start at being better.
A year of faith testing unknowns.
A whole new year of every day, life changing moments.

7 comments:

Linda said...

I absolutely love this Mindy! Don't quit puuting your thoughts down! In fact, you should send it to the Deseret News and share it with everyone!
Love Ya!
Mom

Karlie said...

Wow, I loved reading that. Thanks! Motivating and Enlightening. Love you guys.

Pedaling said...

beautiful.

Corbie said...

Ordinary, everyday miracles...love them. Great post (and gorgeous pic).

kg said...

Glad the Skogs reconnected with the adorable Dibble fam in 2009. Here's to an even better year in 2010.

Kemi said...

You are a gifted writer, Mindy. I always come away from your blog feeling uplifted.

Thank you. :)

Natalie said...

Love your blog. Ditto :) I feel the same way you do. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Can't wait to catch up. Beautiful Family & Dang those kids are growing up way too fast. Love you, Natalie
PS- Did you get my Christmas card? Do I have an updated address for you? It's all a blur now.. let me know.

Related Posts with Thumbnails