July 28, 2010

Hello?.....is anyone there?





(the instructions on this phone go as follows:
EMERGENCY TELEPHONE
Dial 999 for constable and Police, Fire, and Ambulance).

Obviously the instruction printing people did not get the memo to the
emergency phone making people.
But what about the guy who puts the instructions on the phone?
What's his excuse?
Hopefully, you have not just been attacked by a bear.
Hopefully, you are not bleeding profusely when you come upon this beacon of hope.
I really shouldn't judge.
This sort of thing happens to me quite often.
You know, you pack your 1st grader's book report in your 4th grader's back-pack.
You show up for the neighborhood party with your
potato salad the night after it happened.
You tell your husband "I'm fine Honey, I promise"
and then get secretly annoyed when he
doesn't pick up on your "I'm bugged" attitude.

How many times have I offered to be there to help someone
but then left the attitude of a wrong number?
We don't even mean to or know we're doing it.

We say things like,
"Let me know if you need me to bring something."
instead of, "I will bring a salad or do you need a dessert instead?"

"You're having surgery? Let me know if you need help."
instead of, "Oh, you're having surgery?
Would you rather have me over on Wednesday or Thursday to help?"

How many times has someone been "bleeding" for help but didn't
call me because they didn't think I was sincere in my offer?
I would be willing to help anyone, I really would
but do they know that I would?
I'm going to try this more often so hopefully,
people will KNOW that when they call on me for help,


that I will not only answer the call, but that I will
be happy to drive the rescue truck.
Here's to being in-tune.


Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Pedaling said...

You are absolutely right.
Currently in the RS Pres. I try to make sure I say it right...so they will KNOW I mean it, want to help and will be doing something.
Great post.
Here's to being in tune as neighbors, friends, church members and community people!!!

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

Such true words. I will definitely say more than "Let me know if I can help" now! That phone is hilarious.

CB said...

Great post and right on target.
I noticed alot of people saying "Let me know if you need anything". I was laid up for 6 weeks recovering and not once did any of those people do anything and, of course, I didn't call them - you just don't.
You get to know who really loves you by who DOES SOMETHING. Those friends who came over to keep me company without me asking, those friends who called and said "I'm brining dinner on Friday" and it was so gratefully received.
We need to not ask we need to DO!

The Farmer's Wife said...

Mindy...thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a kind comment...I love your blog! You have a great sense of humor!

tara said...

ouch. you could not be MORE RIGHT mindy! thanks soo very much for the sweet comment on my blog...forever ago. sorry it took me so long to resond...i took a bit of a hiatus:)

Corbie said...

Love it, Mindy - how perfect.

Michelle said...

Thought you should know I used your technique. I am taking dinner to my friend tomorrow night...I gave her no choice. Love it! -m

Related Posts with Thumbnails