You know when you tell someone that you'll never do something? I'll never sky-dive. I'll never pay that much for a pair of shoes. I'll never spank my kids. But deep in the back of your mind you knew you really would? So yeah, I said I would never have a blog. I fought it for a long time thinking that I just didn't have time for it. Then my 9 year old asked me what my grandparents were like. It made me a little more than sad when I realized it had only taken me about 4 minutes to relate to her the very limited memories I have of my grandparents. Granted I was 6 by the time 2 of them were gone and only 11 by the time the other two had passed. But I really would have loved to hear my Grandma talk about doing laundry in a bucket, or know if my Grandpa enjoyed being in the army. And then I was talking to my mother one day and asked her how she had dealt with one of the joys of motherhood and she said, "Oh I can't remember". I decided then and there that I should at least take a few moments every once in a while to record my thoughts and memories and ideas so that when the girls come to me one day and ask me how I felt about cleaning up throw-up in the middle of the night or how I felt when we elected a black president, or what the name of that cute boy with the freckles that sat by her in 3rd grade was ,(Zach) I'll say, let's go pull up the old blog and click on the barf/something amazing just happened/1st crush tags. They'll probably roll they're eyes at the idea of dealing with something so archaic as a blog, much the same way we do when we think of our parents living a normal life without a cell phone... or a cordless phone for that matter. But at least it will be something. And typing is so much faster for me than writing in a journal so...here we go.
For the 4 of you that may read this blog (thanks Mom, Melinda, Greg and Corbie) I hope you don't get too bored and that you don't think less of me as all of the voices in my head start speaking out loud.
So as I start this I'm thinking of the grandparents that I wish I knew better, the parents that I want to be like when I grow up, and the kids that might want to one day know the reasons why Mom ended up in the "special home" wearing the "special helmet".
Good Luck to all of us.
January 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Okay, so hopefully this will let me comment since my other two comments got erased. LAME!
I'm way excited for your blog. It will be fun to hear your posts and to see updates of your cute family. You're right. We're human and we forget A LOT. Ry and I were just talking the other day about some things in our blog that we wouldn't have remembered if we didn't write it down and that was just a few months ago.
I wish that we could have more recorded events and stories of G&G's also. Time really flies. Anyway, welcome to the blogging world. You're gonna love it.
Love ya!
I'm so excited! And you will have many more than 4 readers - once the ward finds out you're blogging, it's all over! I love the blog, I love to hear your thoughts, and your descriptions of your kids and husband to the right are priceless. Congrats on getting up and running!
Yeah MINDY! Good to read you! Look forward to catching up!
Thanks for stopping by mine... I love yours too.
I agree with everything you said in this post, and I think it's a great way to journal when sitting down with paper and a pen just seems so time-consuming.
A friend of mine does an additional style of journaling for her kids, and it's such a great idea, I thought you might like to read about it. I'm not very good at it... in six months I've only got a few entries for each kid, but they are special, and they make me smile.
Here's the link: http://kemilikechemistry.wordpress.com/2008/06/12/todays-memories-brought-to-you-by-a-supermom/
Your kids are adorable. How is it with five?
Okay Mindy-- Here I am! I will be your 5th reader. You know that I am in love with the blogging world. They are so fun to follow! This turned out so cute and I was smiling as soon as I started reading. I wish I had a way with words like you do!
Looks like you're about to hit reader number 10! (I know you really have more than that. :D) I'm super excited you have a blog. It's nice to know I'm not the only one whose going to end up in the "special home"...I already have the "special helmet" HA HA HA
I have "special helmet" for every day of the week that match my drool bibs. Yeah!
Mindy I am so glad that you started a blog. I saw your link off of Melindas and had to come check it out. This is Teresa (Stone) if you don't remember. I feel the same way about blogging. It is my journal so I write about everything in it. I love it and I hope you enjoy doing it too.
Post a Comment