So I got this cute e-mail. The mommy in this picture sells shovels at Home Depot. The teacher thought the mommy was a pole dancer. It reminded me of a funny conversation I had with Makenna a while back. My day started early with the baby and getting kids off to school. I threw in a load of laundry and folded the load in the dryer. Then the little kids had breakfast and a bath. I took a minute to check my e-mail and then got in the shower. Off to the Dentist we go and then a quick trip to the store. I got home and cleaned out the junk drawer, (the random paper clips, dead batteries and countless pens with no ink had been haunting me in my sleep for weeks and it just had to be done). Next was a project for church and then another load of laundry. Made lunch for Ethan and Olivia and cleaned out the microwave. I paid some bills, cleaned the sinks and sewed on 2 buttons. Fed the baby. A quick vacuum job, a call to the neighbor and another bath for the baby (love those blow-outs) and it was off to the post office, the bank and time to pick up the kids from school. Homework time and a half-hearted attempt to clean their rooms ended with everyone either yelling (not me of course ;)), crying or lying about who's clothes were on the floor. I cleaned the fish bowl and tried to organize the hall closet but failed. One of the girls had a birthday party to get to and then it's time to start dinner. I watered the plants, ironed 3 shirts, a skirt and a pair of pants, and then fixed the bathroom clock. Fed the baby. Time to pick up from the birthday party and drop off to dance class. Yay!, dad's home." Hi, how are you?" "Good. You?" Mated some socks, cleaned up the spilled cereal, and put the head back on the barbie. Oh time to pick up from Dance. Dinner and dishes, fed the cat, undid the knots in four hair ribbons, and put a band-aid and a kiss on the latest injury. Emptied the garbages and fed the baby. Time to get ready for bed, (why does this always take an hour and a half longer than is necessary? It's like they hit this slow-motion time warp in the bathroom. Does it really take 8 1/2 minutes to brush your teeth?) As I head to tuck them into bed I put away 2 pairs of shoes, a scarf and about 7 matchbox cars. So I'm kissing goodnight and Makenna says to me, "Mom, when I grow up, I want to be a mom just like you." I was so pleased that this little girl appreciated all the things I did during the day and wanted to follow my example. Then she finished by saying, "You get to stay home and just do nothing."
January 17, 2009
What kids really think we do all day.
So I got this cute e-mail. The mommy in this picture sells shovels at Home Depot. The teacher thought the mommy was a pole dancer. It reminded me of a funny conversation I had with Makenna a while back. My day started early with the baby and getting kids off to school. I threw in a load of laundry and folded the load in the dryer. Then the little kids had breakfast and a bath. I took a minute to check my e-mail and then got in the shower. Off to the Dentist we go and then a quick trip to the store. I got home and cleaned out the junk drawer, (the random paper clips, dead batteries and countless pens with no ink had been haunting me in my sleep for weeks and it just had to be done). Next was a project for church and then another load of laundry. Made lunch for Ethan and Olivia and cleaned out the microwave. I paid some bills, cleaned the sinks and sewed on 2 buttons. Fed the baby. A quick vacuum job, a call to the neighbor and another bath for the baby (love those blow-outs) and it was off to the post office, the bank and time to pick up the kids from school. Homework time and a half-hearted attempt to clean their rooms ended with everyone either yelling (not me of course ;)), crying or lying about who's clothes were on the floor. I cleaned the fish bowl and tried to organize the hall closet but failed. One of the girls had a birthday party to get to and then it's time to start dinner. I watered the plants, ironed 3 shirts, a skirt and a pair of pants, and then fixed the bathroom clock. Fed the baby. Time to pick up from the birthday party and drop off to dance class. Yay!, dad's home." Hi, how are you?" "Good. You?" Mated some socks, cleaned up the spilled cereal, and put the head back on the barbie. Oh time to pick up from Dance. Dinner and dishes, fed the cat, undid the knots in four hair ribbons, and put a band-aid and a kiss on the latest injury. Emptied the garbages and fed the baby. Time to get ready for bed, (why does this always take an hour and a half longer than is necessary? It's like they hit this slow-motion time warp in the bathroom. Does it really take 8 1/2 minutes to brush your teeth?) As I head to tuck them into bed I put away 2 pairs of shoes, a scarf and about 7 matchbox cars. So I'm kissing goodnight and Makenna says to me, "Mom, when I grow up, I want to be a mom just like you." I was so pleased that this little girl appreciated all the things I did during the day and wanted to follow my example. Then she finished by saying, "You get to stay home and just do nothing."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
Funny ! ! ! ! ! Isnt that the truth and then the next day, its the same. You should submit that to readers digest or parents magazine or the editor in the newspaper. I sat home today looking at pictures of my grandchildren asking myself where did the time go ? Where are my babies, did I spend time with them..and I read your blog and said....Ohhhhh I remember that! ! Those where the best of times. Love Gramma
I really think my kids believe I stay home JUST so I can play with their toys. My oldest two get home from school and act ASTONISHED that I haven't been on the Wii all day.
As if it's the laundry fairy who washes and puts away their clothes, and the food fairy who gets dinner ready, and the toilet fairy who mops up the misses.
I mean, really. :)
Whew! can you imagine the embarrassment of the mommy who is a pole dancer and their child's teacher thinks they just sell snow shovels at Home Depot?
So funny! It's amazing how non-perceptive we are as kids thinking things just magically happen. I remember a lot of times that I had mom run something over to me at school, or make something for me at the last minute, blah, blah and I didn't think it was that big of a deal, not realizing of course that she had 6 other kids doing the exact same thing , not to mention all of her other responsibilities going on. Oh, and I rarely ever said thank you. Cute post, thanks for sharing.
That is so funny. You are one busy mom. And I love that picture, it is so funny.
Mindy! I don't think I'll ever complain about being busy again, not another day in my life! You are super mom! And it's so funny that Makenna said that...funny and sad!
How do you do it?! I don't want Donney to read this post, he will see he can have higher expectations. I definitely need to work harder. You are amazing! Really that made me feel so tired!! You get mom/wife of the year award. Funny how a comment like that can be funny from your little one, but would be a big mistake if it came from Greg. LOL
Okay my Google Reader must not be working because it didn't tell me you had posted again! I came over here by chance just to see your cute blog background (still love it!) and here is your latest post. You truly are Supermom - I make sure to always have a paying job so I can justify why I don't do much of the 'real' work that you do. Loved the post!
Kids sure do say the craziest things! just found your blog and had to say they sure are fun to do and look back on to see what is going on in our lives.
Dave
OOOH! I'm so tired! I remember those days but I would never be able to verbalize it as cute as you did! Loved it. Are you sure she's selling shovels?
Mom
Post a Comment