Okay, so I'm the first to admit that I judge people. One of my favorite activities is people watching. I do it everywhere. At the movies, at the mall, the zoo, amusement parks, wherever. My favorite is the airport.
I think we all judge people to some extent. You can't help but do it. And when I say judge, I don't mean the 'I bet she doesn't get her laundry done or have dinner on the table every night' kind of judging. (that's just being silly). I'm talking about the 'try and guess what they would be like if you were stuck in an elevator with them for 2 minutes' kind of judging. Would they annoy you? Would you be intimidated by them? Could you guess how they treat their loved ones?
Seriously, we all do it. I think it's okay to do it. In some cases (dark alleys) it's necessary.
I love to see if I can guess their mood or what kind of job they have. I love to add my own little thought bubbles to the expressions I see on faces. It's fun for me and I feel like I'm pretty okay at figuring somebody out fairly quickly.
You know, like if I saw this guy
Seriously, we all do it. I think it's okay to do it. In some cases (dark alleys) it's necessary.
I love to see if I can guess their mood or what kind of job they have. I love to add my own little thought bubbles to the expressions I see on faces. It's fun for me and I feel like I'm pretty okay at figuring somebody out fairly quickly.
You know, like if I saw this guy
I would assume that he likes the color purple.
Or if I ran into this woman,
I would guess that maybe she has possibly had a little work done.
Then I watched this woman. I am going to call her
"The Little 48 yr. old, Unemployed, Never Been Kissed,
Singing Cat Lady That Could".
Susan for short.
Please watch the whole thing. I know your time is precious and I appreciate that but go get a snack or make sure your boss isn't watching,
(or bring em' over to watch it with you)
or put a DVD on for the kids for a minute or two. It's worth it.
"The Little 48 yr. old, Unemployed, Never Been Kissed,
Singing Cat Lady That Could".
Susan for short.
Please watch the whole thing. I know your time is precious and I appreciate that but go get a snack or make sure your boss isn't watching,
(or bring em' over to watch it with you)
or put a DVD on for the kids for a minute or two. It's worth it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut68Set-w0o
If she doesn't inspire you to give people another shot at a first impression,
nothin' will.
I was right there with everyone else waiting for the sour notes or the cheesy gimmick.
What an unexpected and much needed reminder that I can be surprised in some way by
every single person I meet.
Every stranger I sit and stare at has some hidden treasure inside of them. Maybe they are a great artist. Maybe a poet or an athlete. Maybe they make the best bundt cake around.
I am going to try harder to find those nice, hidden surprises in other people. And not only strangers but people I know and love.
Maybe I'll even try and re-locate some of the ones I have forgotten about, lost, or just absently kicked under the couch next to that matchbox car and missing Polly Pocket shoe.
Now go and surprise yourself and then pick up that book that you didn't like the cover of.
What an unexpected and much needed reminder that I can be surprised in some way by
every single person I meet.
Every stranger I sit and stare at has some hidden treasure inside of them. Maybe they are a great artist. Maybe a poet or an athlete. Maybe they make the best bundt cake around.
I am going to try harder to find those nice, hidden surprises in other people. And not only strangers but people I know and love.
Maybe I'll even try and re-locate some of the ones I have forgotten about, lost, or just absently kicked under the couch next to that matchbox car and missing Polly Pocket shoe.
Now go and surprise yourself and then pick up that book that you didn't like the cover of.





7 comments:
i saw this video clip the other day and thougtht much of the same...i love how you wrote and incorperated it into this post. very insightful and most surely something to remember.
That has always been my all-time favorite song (usually when sung by Neil Diamond but now when sung by Susan Boyle), from my all-time favorite play, adapted from my all-time favorite book. Just what I needed to hear today. Love love love it.
We just watched this video tonight....FREAKIN AMAZING!!!! I am with you~people watching is the best! I make fun of people way more than I should! :) I love the show Lost-fun to see that everyone has a 'story'-things that have happened that make them who they are. It would be so cool or WILL be so cool to get to the other side and see everyone's stories-we all have one! You've inspired me to be nicer-to look for the good-to "try a little harder to be a little better"...you are amazing!
This clip is awesome. I nearly shed a tear as I watched it with my wife on Wednesday. Loved the post.
KG: See why I cheat on The Skog Blog with Dibble Scribbles? It's hard to be faithful with temptations like this...
Apparently I'm a sensitive, emotional, boob because it absolutely brought tears to my eyes to see such a humble, kind, even down trodden woman excel like that. I was so glad to see this!
PS Thanks so much for watching the dude for me on Tuesday! I'm so grateful, he came home as happy as a clam!
Post a Comment