June 10, 2009

Inside all of us is a Wild Thing.


When I was a kid, I absolutely loved the book
"Where The Wild Things Are".
I loved Max and his costume.
And he was a real stinker of a kid
and I was not.
I was probably living vicariously
through his disobedient antics.
So when he got sent to his room
and his imagination turned that room into
a forest and an ocean and had creatures,
I was convinced that my imagination was
either broken or missing that vital
"everything comes to life" part.

I still love reading this book to my kids.
It's not a really bright, happy go lucky book
and I think that's why I like it.
It has depth and it's a little artsy.
When I heard they were making it into a movie
I was kind of nervous and slightly protective of it.
I did not want a cheesy, slick, cutesy version of the book.
When I found the trailer for the movie
I wasn't expecting much. Most kid's movies
tend to feel like a weekly Wal-mart mailer.
It comes every week,
it's shiny and flashy
you look at it quick,
and then throw it away
and wait for the next one.

This feels like the double issue of Pottery Barn.
You know the one. It comes once a year.
The one where you wait for the kids to go to sleep,
sit in your favorite chair,
drink your favorite beverage,
slowly browse through,
look through it again,
and then keep it on the coffee table for months.

And if the music is any indication
of what the movie is like,
it's gonna be good.







I think my imagination just got fixed.

7 comments:

Mindy said...

Okay, so I was having issues with the video. If you got this less than 7 times, consider yourself lucky.
So Sorry.

Pedaling said...

we cannot wait to see this flick!

Joy & Casey said...

Can't wait!!! Looks great! Sawyer & Jaycee came running to watch it the second they heard the music-then they told me the whole story-obviously appeals to kids with great taste! ;)

.........Still ME! said...

When I found out that they were making it into a movie, I immediately called my mom and had her send my book from when I was little. My kids LOVE it and are so exited (probably not as much as me, but pretty excited).

Melinda said...

No flipp'n way! I'm so excited. I love this book. I can't wait.

Corbie said...

Yet another 'ME TOO!' moment...I love this book and the movie (and accompanying music :) looks to be great!

Northern Nuts! said...

I saw the trailor the other night at the theater - I was very excited! I wondered too how it would turn out in movie form. I hate that we have to wait so long until it comes out :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails