April 22, 2009

Busted by The Population Police.

So the kids are off-track (joy) and we need something from Costco (curse those Extra Fancy Mixed Nuts). We decide to meet Greg for lunch. Now I hardly ever take all 5 of the kids to any store, let alone Costco for fear of getting the "It's called Birth Control" look from random strangers. My other favorite: "Are they all yours"?.....Really? You think I would bring neighbor kids to Costco?
We had lunch with Greg and the kids were great. I even got a salad instead of a slice of that evil Costco pizza. Whatever.
While shopping we got a few looks and one lady even sighed out loud when she had to wait 3.4 seconds for us to get out of her way.
Now Greg thinks I imagine these looks, sighs, eye-rolls. But it's like I can feel them turn around and look at us as we pass by. And I'm sure he may be right.
But today, it was very real.

After we were done shopping (The kids were almost angelic by the way) we were out in the parking lot. As we got to our rockin' mini-van,
this pulls up next to us.

and then this gets out
and she's carrying this
and wearing theseAnd then this gets out of the back seat.

We're parked next to the shopping cart return so while she is putting her 'tot of perfection' into their cart, I see him point in our direction (most likely at the plethora of kid food) and innocently say, "Mommy, what is that?"

Trendy mom answers "That is someone who has too many children."
Robot Tot says, "Too many children?
Wannabe Paris says, "Yes, more than she can handle".



Oh yes, she did.
You know that filter that we have in the brain? The one that keeps you from saying inappropriate or offensive things? Yeah, I not only got mine but I think
Simon Cowell's and Kathy Griffin's were thrown in too.
I must have gotten this 'ladies' as well because I didn't say anything....
What!?! You didn't say anything Mindy?
I know, I know.
First of all, I was so stunned I didn't know what to say.
I hate confrontation and I don't want anybody's feelings hurt. If my food isn't exactly the way I ordered it, I just keep it and eat it and say "oh well". Most of the time I don't go back if the drivethru girl forgot part of my order. Whatever. I don't know why I do this.

What should I have said? What would you have said?

I couldn't believe she had said it. I mean, I wasn't judging her that she looked like 'Plastic Mom Barbie'. Okay, so I just did but hey, I didn't say it to her in front of her kid.
She can keep her Fendi bag and her bad attitude. And the van may look and smell like a rained out soccer game but at least I don't care if my hair gets wet at said game.
And besides, those shoes wouldn't look good on me anyway.
I should have had the devil pizza.

16 comments:

Kemi said...

I had a problem similar to this at Ulta a while back, but only part of it had to do with kids.

I'm sorry someone was so rude. I am constantly surprised at the capacity people have for hurting others they don't even know. Maybe I'm too nice? Maybe we're both too nice.

It was that salad, Mindy. Salad is evil, and it rots your brain. Next time you go to Costco, get TWO pieces of pizza so you're prepared with the snappy (and completely appropriate, as far as I'm concerned) comebacks.

Sterling said...

Looks fade, taut skin wrinkles and folds. Mercedes eventually run out of warranty. Shoes wear out. Purses fade out of style. Perfect little kids grow up and emulate the example given them by their parents and say things they saw mommy say to others (and they say them to their mommy)

Kemi is right. Pizza has carbs. Carbs are brain food.

Me... I would have looked at her with buck teeth and said "Yall fixin ta go thar and get some o' that free food they's been handing out? We's headin' over to the used car lot for sodee pop and hawt dawgs! We eats for free!"

Christy said...

I don't know who you are Sterling, but you are hilarious.

Seriously Mindy, I love, love, love reading your blog. Your writing is so clever and interesting.

I totally know what you mean about not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings. I would rather eat undercooked chicken than say something to the waitress at a restaurant. Okay, I wouldn't really eat the chicken, but I wouldn't say anything either.

As far as the evil Plastic Mom Barbie, she'll get what's coming to her.

Joy & Casey said...

Sounds like you need a family code word just incase you see Barbie again & she makes the same comment...when you say the code word one kid can fart, one kid can moon her, one kid can say a bad word or 2, one kid can ask her if she already goes to counseling or if she needs a referral to a good shrink~have a little fun with it. Then you can so nicely say..."Sorry I can't handle all of my kids." No rudeness there at all.

We just had the devil Costco pizza Monday...it's totally good for you. Don't know where you heard otherwise! ;)

You are hilarious woman!! Have another kid or 2...they are dang cute!

Melinda said...

I thought we talked about this, ya know..."say what ya need to say" song???????

I can't believe you let her get away with that. Have I taught you nothing about confrontation? It's SO worth it sometimes and so not worth it other times. In this case...it's worth it. It's girls like barbie princess that always get away with being total brats because nobody stands up to them.

I don't know what I would've said, maybe something like:

"Excuse me MAM (make sure you call her mam to tick her off)...I couldn't help but overhear your rude comment since I'm pretty sure you said it just loud enough that I would be sure to hear. I don't normally like to even talk to shallow people like you, but I feel obligated to stand up for myself in front of my children so I can teach them an important lesson... you said you think I have too many children, more than I can handle? oh, I can handle it just fine lady. I made the CHOICE to have my children, ALL of them and I might even have more if I'm inclined because I am a GREAT mother--just ask my kids... I believe and I raise my kids with the concept of treating others with respect --especially other MOTHERS who DARE to take on the BIGGEST and HARDEST career there is... motherhood. How dare you insult me in front of my children. I want you to ask yourself...who the one is that has taken on more than she can handle? I would say it's YOU my little 6" heels know it all...you can't even teach your ONE child how not to be mean, judgemental and insensitive to the feelings of others. I can handle 5 kids alright... and a whole lot more my little darling...oh, and have fun at Costco...try not to trip in those shoes, OH...and I suggest you get the salad, it wasn't very good anyway"

Anyway, that's what I would've said.

Probably not, but I would've wanted to. I most likely would've just given her an evil stare.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

You are a riot Mindy Lou Hoo.
I'm so flattered that I am Mrs. America. It makes me smile because my children also think I am an ordinary mom with a "swollen" belly with no baby inside. hummm...
I also LOVE Heidi Klum. She is so down to earth and funny. I just wish I could trade her bodies!
I guess I'll keep my ordinary life for now too. Thanks for the call-- I'll return it as soon as I can find he cordless phone! :) love you! Natalie

Anonymous said...

For sure...next time say what Melinda did. That's just plain impressive...I sort of wanted to stand up and place my hand over my heart.

Or take Joy's advise...I will volunteer to teach the swear words to Kenna since you don't know any.

And then duck because one of those six inch heals might come flying!

michelle

Corbie said...

I don't send food back either but I would have said something to her. I feel bad for the waitress who has to return my food to the kitchen and I feel bad for the cook who is probably over-worked and I feel bad for the restaurant owner who has to throw away food. But Barbie? Nah - her mistake is intentional and she deserves what she has coming.

You are a good mom - you just chose non-violence when a beating was totally in order.

FishinFamily said...

Holy crap I can't believe she'd say that!! Miss Snotty Panties needs to be taught a lesson...but I'm like you, it probably wouldn't be me to teach it to her, although I would've loved to say something clever I probably would've just starred at her and said something like, "Good job, you just taught your son a great lesson."
You are super mom and I love your guts!

Dibble's said...

Seriously who does that!? I actually disagree, I think you did the right thing by not saying anything back to her! That one act proved that her ENTIRE outlook on life is so wrong! And it shows how incredible you are. I can't help but feel bad for her and her poor, very misguided, son (and hubby)! How sad to think that her life is measured in worldy things. And how sad to have only one spoiled child! Can you imagine life with only one kiddo? I know sometimes that sounds amazing (those exhausting nights when you want to pull out your hair!)but then you look at their darling little faces and know that you're doing EXACTLY the right thing! And just for the record, I thnk you're WAY better than some superficial barbie in a Mercedes! I love you and you FIVE dolls, and let's be honest, that's all that REALLY matters! :)

Krista said...

hi Mindy!
i'm so glad you commented and love mates of state too! I love your posts...and probably would have just been too stunned to say anything too...but for sure would have tried to make sure she caught a look at my evil sneer. are you not living in utah anymore? where everyone has that many kids?
i think i need to try that costco pizza!

Carole said...

Mindy-
You are such a talented writer.I love reading and glancing in every once in awhile. I don't think I really could have said anything to the "diva" mom either (though I WANT too so desperately). I must admit I get all sorts of comments ALL the time and I only have three. Chicago had to be the worst -- "wow, you've got your hands full" has got to be my favorite-- to which I respond "wouldn't have it ANY other way!!". Your life does indeed ROCK! Thanks for sharing with us, your special talent, and allowing us to share in a small part of your WONDERFUL life.
Carole Brunisholz Hollinger

Kim said...

Oh Mindy, I am so sorry. The judgment we place on each other is so not helpful. If you are like me, there are days when I wonder what I am doing being a mom without any judgmental help from anyone else. Hang in there.

CB said...

I laughed so hard! I have to tell you i probably would have *accidentally* backed into her car -oops! I can be evil that way!

Seriously, you did the best thing by ignoring her.

I also have 5 kids and when they were little I took them everywhere and I remember well the looks, the questions - especially the "are they all yours" - SO funny!

Insight to the future: Those people who have 1 child or 2 always wished they had more and I now hear "isn't it great to have a big loving family!!"

You bet your boots - Nothing like it!!

Have a GREAT day!

Tyler said...

I just laughed out loud in class. I freaking love you sis, and next time eat the pizza, it's amazing!

Steph said...

Honestly we think so much a like, you just write it so much better. You're even as fascinated with Heidi as I am.. love it. ALSO, I say to my kids ALL THE TIME "whachyou talkin' bout Willis" and it drives them crazy! You should have had the devil pizza when your out with 5 kids you deserve it! What am I saying, you deserve it period! You are beautiful Mindy, I am not so convinced that you are not an alien as well. (((HUGS)))

Related Posts with Thumbnails