November 16, 2009

In every job that must be done....

They say that cleaning a house while children live there
is like shoveling the walk while it's still snowing.
Some days feel like a light flutter and others feel like a
category 6 blizzard.
When I was a kid, I shared a
room with my two sisters.
Needless to say, it was difficult
to keep a tidy room.
I HATED when we had to clean it.
I knew if I ever got a genie in a bottle
(which I totally thought was possible until I was about 12)
that I would only need one of the three promised wishes.
Not money, not a bigger house, not the latest toy.

No. I wanted something much
more valuable.
I wanted so badly
to be able to snap my fingers like Mary Poppins
and have things magically put themselves away.

Oh to have that amazing power.
That would still be my one wish.
Imagine all the extra time.
So, while cleaning is not my favorite thing
I do love a clean house.
So this off track we did some deep cleaning in the basement.
You know the kind that only happens a few times a year.
The baseboards get cleaned, the walls washed, the mattresses vacuumed.
Every nook and cranny is attended to.
We went through clothes and shoes and discarded the things we no longer need.
We threw away papers and trinkets,
and got rid of the one-armed barbies and hairless dolls.
It was quite an undertaking.
I hate doing this but love the end result.
This is the first time I really involved the girls in this process.
You all know that it's so much easier to just do it yourself
but I feel it is important to teach them at a younger age so
that when they move out of my home,
they will know how to keep their home.
After three days and a few temper tantrums
(by everyone involved)
we had a very clean and organized basement and bedrooms.



Nothing was out of it's appropriate place.




The girls were especially proud of their efforts
and were very excited to show Daddy.

After we had the talk about how lovely their spaces were
and how important it is to keep things neat and clean,
the girls each promised me that they would keep things as they were.

I actually had some confidence in them.
I walked out of Makenna and Olivia's room and heard this conversation.
Olivia: "I love when our room is so clean".

Makenna: "Me too. Don't you think we should keep it like this all the time".

Olivia: "Yeah. We should...

.

.


.



But we probably won't".


I better get a bigger shovel.

5 comments:

CB said...

The conversation between your girls is so cute!
My girls shared a room all of their growing up years and "OH MY" their room was a disaster!
I did not have any sisters growing up and always had my own room and it was neat and organized always! So I could not understand why they could not keep their room clean.
After many years I now understand but it became a joke when I would help them do the deep cleaning, as you did with your girls, that someday I would have to come do this with them when they had their own homes.
That thought made them laugh. Man I hope that doesn't happen.
The deep cleaning feels good. I love throwing away plastic bags full of old toys. ha ha

Enjoy your kids (I can tell you do!) and enjoy that bigger shovel :D

Kim said...

As a girl, I too was a little obsessed with Mary Poppins awesome cleaning powers and took to snapping my fingers more times than I should admit hoping the room would magically clean itself. Love the pics of the clean rooms. I will just have to admire others cleanliness for now.

Kemi said...

I'm with Kim... I'll admire yours and wish it was mine.

I couldn't decide whether I wanted to have Mary Poppins' finger-snapping trick or Samantha's nose-wiggle. Now that I'm older, I snap my fingers enough that I could tidy the entire neighborhood. Maybe even the whole city! :)

Joy & Casey said...

Love the honesty of your kids...my kids promise me EVERY SINGLE TIME I help them clean their rooms that they will keep it clean-they forget by the next day! Dang it! We're all wishing for a little Mary Poppins...she would just sing instead of yelling at them...not that I ever yell at my kids-that wouldn't be nice! ;)

Melinda said...

I knew when I saw those two big bags of clothes on my porch that you must've been busy organizing. We deep cleaned our basement this week as well. So nice to be done. Maintenance is the key for me dang it. It just never ends.

Cute rooms!

Related Posts with Thumbnails